Sunday, September 11, 2005

therapy/delusions/sicko

I read in the papers just the other day that shopping or window shopping is a good way to reduce stress among women. They did not mention anything about e-bay or e-shopping and or this sort of self therapy would give the same effect to the male counterpart. Maybe because males are less of a shopper themselves (but I like shopping though).

Maybe it is true. It can reduce the stress. But what I think is that this thing does not settled the problem or the stress but merely shifting it to another place.

How? Imagine a woman so stress out. One way to get some relief or joy is to go to the nearest mall or shopping complex for a shopping spree. Alone or with some friends (accomplices). Cash or credit cards. It doesn't matter. Whether she needed the things or not. Whether it matters if the sales girl says she looks like Kylie Minogue in that pink skirt (although she is in her forties) just to get extra commissions.

Whatever it takes to eliminate the stress away even for just a few hours in the mall and continued for another few hours in plush coffee shops, eating ice-creams (another ritual of the females to throw some stress away) and chat about stuff they bought. And how beautiful is the bottles of Jean Paul Gaultier perfume they just bought even if the contents and the smell is overpriced. Just because it's a designer perfume!

Yes, the stress is gone or reduced but it's actually at the same time slowly transferred to another place or person. Yup, guess what? The next location is the 'husbands' or 'bfs'. With all the credit card charged, the stress is on these poor dudes (transferred and settling in). So what do these guys do to release this stress??

You got it! Transfer it somewhere else. Maybe to someone else at the coffee shop, the mamak or wherever they like. Finding helping ears to listen to their distress. Maybe that helping ear is also doing the same thing, pouring his stress and worries out, vice versa. Feeding on each other and reducing the pain.

Maybe I'm over reacting on this issue. Maybe it's not an issue after all. Maybe those women just need an excuse to steal some time with friends doing stuff they like. Maybe these men also need to get away to do some guy stuff. Maybe it's not true at all that shopping can reduce stress. Well there's a lot of maybe here.

This reminds me of 'pain killer' pills. I usually take them when I have a toothache or headache. It lasted for a few hours, just enough so I can sleep painlessly. The pills tell my brain that my tooth are not aching, although it does. The pain is there but I can't feel it.

Just like shopping or hangin' out, it gives some joy and space to breathe but our problems or stress are still there.

Conclusion :
Painkillers, shopping, hanging out does not solve problems but give some temporary relief. Which is good.

My Prescriptions:

1)Paracetamol :
Always handy ( a pack of Milidon 500) I'll bring it anywhere I go, in case of emergency!

2)Shopping :
I rarely do. But if I do, I just shop for VCDs, DVDs, CDs, books or mags.

3)Hanging out :
Jamming Studio(need at least one friend to play the drums) 2 to 3 hours playing from Nirvana to Metallica, blues or whatever shit I remember.

Coffee Escape. For chillin' out alone, some soul searching. Usually in the evenings. Root beer float, Panini sandwich or some fries.

The mamaks. Lazy days. Minor stress. Nescafe tarik and The Malay Mail.

My bed. Absolute boredom. All day. Lazier days. Doing nothing. Just my soul. My body is useless this moment.

SHAKE BEFORE USE.
EXPIRY : UNTIL SANITY REAPPEARS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home